Thursday, April 24, 2014

I Am Link

.
--- Book Her - I keep bitching on Twitter about wanting to hear what Lupita Nyong'o will sign up to do next, since I'm gonna be really angry if Hollywood doesn't use her - today comes whispers of her first post-Oscar project being a voice role in the big-budget CG extravaganza Jungle Book movie Jon Favreau is making that we've been hearing about - Idris Elba will be voicing the tiger, you may recall? Lupita would voice the mother wolf that adopts the boy. So... there's that. Apparently ScarJo is in talks to voice the snake, too. So many beautiful people hired to be turned into cartoon animals.

--- Riot Grrl - A few of my favorite lady performances seem to fall under the umbrella that is the "Manic Punk Dream Girl," which is a category that's just been coined by David Sims over at The Wire - give it up for Lulu, y'all. These ladies are so much more agreeable to me than their pixie counterparts.

--- Doubled Dose - Super glad to see there's forward momentum on the movie where Tom Hardy will be playing the Kray twins, the well-known murderous gangsters from the 50s where one was straight and one was gay - Emily Browning has signed on to play the wife of... well one of them, I can't remember the story, it's entirely possible the gay one got married.
.
--- Elder Gerwig - Meg Ryan will be voicing the the Future Greta Gerwig character in How I Met Your Dad, like how Bob Saget narrated the show's Mother incarnation. I'm sure lots of somebodies somewhere have made all the requisite jokes about how this saves us from having to look at Meg's screwed-up face, so I'll refrain.

--- Mother Monster - A few weeks ago I told you about A Monster Calls, the great-sounding new horror flick from The Orphanage director JA Bayona that's an adaptation of a kid's book by Patrick Ness, the dude who wrote the terrific Chaos Walking trilogy of books. It's about a kid and a monster tree or something (I have the book but I haven't read it yet). Anyway Felicity Jones just signed on to play the kid's mom. I can never remember who she is or if I've actually seen her in anything. There's also a rumor that Liam Neeson will be playing the Monster.

--- Wet And Wild - Patricia Clarkson gets all the luck - she's making a movie where Scott Speedman washes up on the shore and she gets to take him in! I want that gig. It's called October Gale and he's a criminal that's being hunted by another bad guy and yadda yadda you get him naked quick, Patty.

--- Grr Argh - The Playlist has rounded up a big bunch of new videos having to do with the new Godzilla movie - some new International trailers with new footage, as well as some behind-the-scenes chats with the director Gareth Edwards. This is probably the movie I'm most looking forward to seeing this Summer, at least blockbuster-wise - what about you?

--- And finally Hannibal's creator Bryan Fuller's been making the interview rounds this week - just a couple of days ago there was that glorious one with HuffPo, and now here's a really good one at The Backlot where he discusses the show's oft-displayed homoerotic tension between Hannibal and Will. Choice bit:

"To be absolutely clear, it is not sexual, but it’s beyond sexual. It is pure intimacy in a non-physical way. But it is that intimacy between heterosexual men that I’m fascinated with because it does go beyond physical parameters to this very primal basic male bonding place. That, as a gay man, I am outside of, because it is unique. Because it is free of a sexuality and/or intimation of sexuality. Yet anyone in the audience who is attracted to either of the men will feel that energy."

Oh I'm feeling it, Bryan. That moment in the last episode when they were leaning towards each other I think my couch started on fire. Anyway there's also a video chat between Bryan and Scott Thompson over here (thanks Mac); I haven't watched it yet but I will be shortly believe you me. Here it is:
.
.

No comments: